1. Place a deep pot (so that the sides catch any splattering of tomatoes) over medium heat and add olive oil.
Add onions, garlic and crushed chilies to the oil and sauté for 3 minutes
2. Add black pepper and thyme and sauté for another minute.
3. Add canned tomatoes (diced, if you want a less chunky tomato sauce), fresh tomatoes and crushed tomatoes
4. Turn heat to medium low, cover and let cook for at least 2 hours (letting it go for 3 wouldn't kill you), checking the sauce every half hour and stirring so it cooks through evenly
5. Uncover, add salt, wine and torn basil leaves. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Once you've got a great sauce you can add any ingredients you like to your lasagna: Ricotta cheese, Parmesan, Sweet Peppers, Zucchini, Mushrooms, etc.
7. Layer in a casserole and bake.
6. Serve the Lasagna with a salad on the side.
This is one of the simplest lasagnas you can make - but make no mistake about it, it’s simply delicious and cries Mamamia! The secret behind the great flavor is in the homemade Tomato Sauce. Once you've got a great sauce you can add any ingredients you like to your lasagna and create a dinner that no one will think is bland or boring!