Simple Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely diced|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), thinly sliced|
|Crushed red chilies||1 Teaspoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon (Freshly)|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Crushed canned tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Basil leaves||20 (1 Bunch)|
1. Place a deep pot (so that the sides catch any splattering of tomatoes) over medium heat and add olive oil.
Add onions, garlic and crushed chilies to the oil and sauté for 3 minutes
2. Add black pepper and thyme and sauté for another minute.
3. Add canned tomatoes (diced, if you want a less chunky tomato sauce), fresh tomatoes and crushed tomatoes
4. Turn heat to medium low, cover and let cook for at least 2 hours (letting it go for 3 wouldn't kill you), checking the sauce every half hour and stirring so it cooks through evenly
5. Uncover, add salt, wine and torn basil leaves. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Once you've got a great sauce you can add any ingredients you like to your lasagna: Ricotta cheese, Parmesan, Sweet Peppers, Zucchini, Mushrooms, etc.
7. Layer in a casserole and bake.
6. Serve the Lasagna with a salad on the side.
Calories 161 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.8%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 548.2 mg22.8%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.5%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 4 g8.2%
Vitamin A 34.5% Vitamin C 43.7%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 15.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet