|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lasagne||1⁄2 Pound (Prepared OR Home-Made)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Double cream||3⁄8 Pint|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Classic ragu bolognese||1 Pint (Meat Sauce, home cooked or canned)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Ounce|
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 350°F, 175°c.
2. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 12 by 3 inch fireproof serving or baking dish.
3. In a large saucepan bring the salted water to boil over high heat, add the lasagne, stirring gently for a few minutes to prevent the strips from sticking together.
4. Keep boiling over a high heat, stirring occasionally, until the lasagne is tender, but al dente, or somewhat resistant to the bite, between 10 and 25 minutes, depending on homemade or commercial lasagne.
5. Drain and place the pasta under cold running water for a few moments to cool or dip it in a bowl of chilled water with ice cubes.
6. Lift out the strips and spread them side by side on paper towel to drain.
7. In a heavy bottomed, medium sized saucepan melt butter over moderate heat and stir in the flour.
8. Take it off heat, pour in the milk and cream all at once and beat well with a wire whisk until the flour is partially dissolved.
9. Put it back on high heat and cook, stirring constantly with the whisk.
10. As the sauce comes to a boil and thickens into a smooth cream, lower the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring in between.
11. Take it off heat and season with nutmeg and salt.
12. Spread a 1/4 inch deep layer of ragu bolognese (made without the cream) at the bottom of the casserole.
13. Spread about 3/8 pint of white sauce over it.
14. Arrange one third of the lasagne on top of the white sauce, overlapping the strips slightly.
15. Continue layering the ragu, white sauce and lasagne twice more, then top with the rest of the ragu and finishing with white sauce.
16. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese, covering the entire casserole.
17. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling hot.
18. Take it out and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
19. Serve by portioning into individual squares on serving plates.
Calories 719 Calories from Fat 363
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g62.3%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 44.3 mg14.8%
Sodium 2555.5 mg106.5%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 21 g42.3%
Vitamin A 37.7% Vitamin C 14.7%
Calcium 32.3% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet