South of the Border Lasagna
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Tortillas||4 (7 Inch In Size)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Taco seasoning mix||1 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Canned chopped green chilies||4 Ounce, drained and divided (1 Can)|
|Frozen avocado dip||6 Ounce, thawed (1 Can)|
|Shredded monterey jack cheese||4 Ounce, divided (1 Cup)|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 , sliced and seeded|
|Hot red pepper||1 , sliced and seeded|
1. Preheat oven at 350°.
2. In a skillet or wok, cook ground beef, until browned, stirring to crumble.
3. Drain well, and set aside.
4. In the skillet heat ¼ inch oil (375°).
5. Fry tortillas, one at a time, for about 5 seconds on each side or just until softened.
6. Place fried tortillas on paper towels.
7. Set aside.
8. In a medium sized saucepan combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning mix.
9. Place the pan on heat and bring to a boil.
10. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, cook for another 10 minutes.
11. Remove sauce from heat.
12. Reserve 1/4 cup sauce mixture.
13. In the remaining sauce mixture, add beef and half of green chilies.
14. In an 8- or 9-inch greased cake pan, place a tortilla and half of meat mixture.
15. Layer with a tortilla, avocado dip, 1/2 cup cheese, and remaining green chilies.
16. Top with a tortilla, remaining meat sauce, remaining tortilla, and 1/4 cup reserved sauce.
17. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
18. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over it.
19. Bake it for 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
20. Serve hot with pepper slices and parsley garnish.
Calories 728 Calories from Fat 458
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.5%
Saturated Fat 18.9 g94.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105 mg35%
Sodium 1417.7 mg59.1%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.9%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 30 g59.9%
Vitamin A 53% Vitamin C 124.2%
Calcium 25.2% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet