Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Crisco - 1/4 cup
Broad noodles - 5 ounces
Cream-style cottage cheese, small curd - 1 1/2 cups
Cream cheese - 1 package (3 ounces)
Tomato sauce - 1 can (8 ounces)
Tomato paste - 1 can (6 ounces)
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Dried oregano - 1/4 teaspoon
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles following directions on package or until noodles are tender-crisp.
2. Drain when cooked and cool down.
3. In the meantime, in a large skillet, heat Crisco and sautÃ© ground beef and onion until beef is browned.
4. Remove excess fat from beef and stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce and seasonings.
5. In another small bowl, cream cottage cheese and cream cheese together.
6. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
7. In a 2 quart casserole, line bottom with half of the noodles, then spread half of the meat mixture and finally the cream mixture.
8. Repeat layering in the same sequence and finish with cheese mixture covering top completely.
9. Refrigerate the lasagne until baked.
10. Remove from refrigerator and bake for 30 minutes until heated through.
11. Slice mock lasagne into squares and serve hot.