Low Calorie Meat Lasagna
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lean ground round/Chuck||1⁄2 Pound|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||29 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Basil leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|No calorie sweetener||To Taste (Granulated / Liquid / Tablet)|
|Pot cheese/Low fat cottage cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (From A 1 Pound Carton)|
|Lasagna noodles||1 Pound (From A 1 Pound Package)|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce, cut into 6 slices (1/2 Package)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
1. Combine the onion, celery, garlic and water in a medium-size skillet. Cook for 10 minutes, or until water evaporates and the vegetables are tender; push to one side.
2. Shape ground beef into a thick patty in same pan; brown 5 minutes on each side; break up into chunks. Stir in the onion mixture, tomatoes, parsley, salt, basil and your favorite no-calorie sweetener, using the equivalent of 1 teaspoon sugar. Simmer, stirring several times for 20 minutes, or until thick.
3. Mix pot cheese or cottage cheese and egg in a small bowl.
4. Cook the lasagna noodles in a kettle; drain; cool in a large bowl of cold water.
5. Place 2 noodles in bottom of a lightly greased, shallow, 10x6x2-inch baking dish; spoon one-third of the cheese mixture, then one-third of the meat sauce on top. Repeat with the remaining noodles, cheese and sauce mixtures to make two more layers of each. Place the mozzarella-cheese slices on top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 30 minutes, or until bubbly-hot. Let stand about 10 minutes to set; cut into 6 equal blocks.