Three Mushroom Lasagna
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound (Common Variety)|
|Chanterelle mushrooms/Additional common mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chopped onions||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Dry white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Roasted red peppers||8 Ounce, drained and coarsely chopped (1 Jar)|
|Lasagna||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fat free chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Low fat milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Pound (3 1/2 Cups)|
1. In a small bowl, combine porcini and 3/4 cup hot water; let stand until mushrooms are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze porcini gently in water to release grit, then lift out and squeeze dry; reserve liquid. Chop porcini.
2. Meanwhile, rinse and drain common and chanterelle mushrooms; trim and discard discolored stem ends, spots, and debris. Chop 1/2 the common mushrooms. Slice remaining common and the chanterelle mushrooms 1/3 inch thick.
3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, frequently stir porcini, common, and chanterelle mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups onions, garlic, and 1 tablespoon butter until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are well browned, about 15 minutes.
4. Carefully pour most of the porcini soaking liquid into pan, discarding remainder with sediment. Stir in wine and red peppers. Boil mushroom mixture over high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 4 cups, 2 to 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add lasagna and stir occasionally until tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and immerse in cold water until cool, about 2 minutes; drain again.
6. In the same pan over medium-high heat, combine remaining butter and onions; stir often until onions are limp, 5 to 8 minutes. Add flour and nutmeg and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk. Stir until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups cheese.
7. In a 9- by 13-inch pan, layer 1/3 of the cheese sauce, 1/3 of the noodles, and 1/2 the mushroom mixture. Repeat layers, then top with remaining noodles and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
8. Bake in a 375° oven until hot in the center (cut to test), 30 to 35 minutes.
9- Let cool about 10 minutes. Cut portions and lift out with a wide spatula.