Lasagna Southern Italian Style
|Ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Ground pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, diced|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lasagna noodles||10 1⁄2 Ounce (2/3 Of 16 Ounce Package)|
|Mozzarella cheese||16 Ounce, shredded (1 Package)|
|Ricotta cheese||16 Ounce (1 Container)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Prepare meat sauce: In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, cook ground beef, ground pork, and onion, stirring frequently, until all pan juices evaporate and meat is well browned. Add tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, water, basil, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling, stirring to break up tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Skim fat from liquid in saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles as label directs; drain. In medium-sized bowl, mix mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, and parsley; set aside.
3. Prepare white sauce: In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine; stir in flour, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and is smooth; remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. In 13" by 9" baking dish, evenly spoon about 3/4 cup meat sauce. Arrange half of noodles over sauce, overlapping to fit. Spoon half of cheese mixture over noodles; spread with half of white sauce; top with half of remaining meat sauce. Repeat layering with remaining half of noodles, cheese mixture, and sauces.
5. Bake lasagna 45 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes for easier serving.
When heating the milk to make the sauce, you can infuse it with an onion covered with a bay leaf and studded with a clove. This will give your sauce a delicious flavor.