If you lack confidence in the kitchen, the idea of making a meal from scratch may seem daunting and it would be easy to rely on ready meals and takeaways. But there are lots of tasty dishes that are easy to make at home without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
1 Medium, dice
1 Large, dice
Cooking oil/Olive oil
6 Teaspoon, chopped finely
Dried mixed herbs
Lamb stock/Vegetable stock
425 Milliliter (hot lamb or vegetable stock made with a lamb or vegetable stock cube and boiling water)
Sweet chili sauce
1 Kilogram, peeled and cut into medium chunks (suitable for mashing)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded (Optional)
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the minced meat mixture: Heat a pan and drop the cooking oil in it.
3. Add the diced onions and the carrots and cook until they sweat.
4. Drop the minced meat in batches and start browning it.
5. At this stage, you can discard some of the excess fat that gets withdrawn from the meat.
6. Throw in the peas and stir.
7. Spoon in the flour and stir to get it incorporated.
8. Drop the tomato puree and the Worcestershire sauce.
9. Add the chopped fresh rosemary and the sweet chili sauce.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour in the vegetable stock.
11. Turn the heat down, cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
12. For the mashed potatoes: In a large sauce pan, place the peeled and diced potatoes.
13. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
14. Add milk and butter and mash together.
15. In an oven proof dish, empty the cooked minced meat mixture.
16. Top with the mashed potato.
17. Shred some cheese on top and pop in the oven for 30 mins.
18. Serve while it is warm with a side of steamed carrots and broccoli.