Leg Or Shoulder Of Lamb A La Grecque
|Lamb leg/3 pound 1 rolled lamb shoulder||5 Pound|
|Crumbled dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed or minced|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Cider/Apple juice / italian red wine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven for roasting.
2) With a sharp knife make slits along the flesh of the meat at a distance of 2-inches apart. Make the slits an inch long and about 1/2-inch deep.
3) In a bowl, mix together salt, thyme, pepper, flour, garlic and lemon rind. Add in enough lemon juice to make a smooth paste. Make sure the paste is not too thick.
4) Rub the lemon paste on the roast and also deep inside the slits.
5) In a shallow roasting pan place a thick layer of aluminium foil to cover about 30 inches of the base.
6) Arrange the roast on the foil. Bring up the narrow ends and other sides up leaving the top of the roast exposed.
7) Roast the beef till the thermometer reads 160F. This should take about 20 minutes per pound.
8) Turn over the aluminium foil to let the roast brown in another 30 minutes.
9) Remove any excess fat from the drippings in the pan.
10) Lastly, add in the cider, apple juice or wine. Stir all together.
11) Plate the roasted meat on the serving platter. Pour the wine sauce over the meat. If desired, serve mashed potatoes and sliced tomatoes on the side.