French Poached Lamb Shank
|Meaty lamb shanks||1|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil/Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Onion||1 , quartered|
|Green peppers||2 , quartered|
|Pitted black olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||1 , peeled, sliced|
|Hot consomme/Water / white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325F.
2) Buy whole lamb shanks without cracking their joints, so they look like large drumsticks.
3) Smear lemon juice over the meat.
4) In a bowl mix together salt, pepper and lemon rind. Coat the meat in this mixture.
5) In a heavy metal saucepan, heat oil. Add in the seasoned meat and cook over high heat to brown well on both sides.
6) Turn down the heat and sprinkle basil or rosemary over the meat. Also add in the garlic.
7) Pour any leftover lemon juice over the meat. Place the quartered onions over the meat.
8) Next, add in the green peppers, black olives, tomatoes and hot consomme, water or white wine.
9) Let the mixture come to a boil on simmer.
10) Cover the pan tighlty. Poach the meat for about 2 1/2 hours or until the meat becomes tender.
11) Serve the French Poached Lamb Shank with boiled rice or lentils on the side.