One Pot Lamb
|Bone in lamb leg||5 Pound (1 Leg)|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm), peeled and slivered|
|Onions||8 , peeled and quartered|
|Carrots||8 , peeled and quartered|
|Bay leaves||6 , crumbled|
|Chopped thyme||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped marjoram/Chopped oregano||3 Tablespoon|
|Crushed rosemary||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling potatoes||5 Pound, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||56 Ounce, chopped, reserving juice (2 Cans, 28 Ounce Each)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
1) Heat the oven to 425°F.
2) Remove the the outer papery-like skin on the leg of lamb nd as much of the fat as possible.
3) In the lamb flesh, make a number of incisions.
4) In the incisions, Insert the slivers of garlic.
5) Season with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
6) On the bottom of a roaster or large pan, spread 1/2 of the onions, 1/2 of the carrots, the bay leaves, and 1/2 of the thyme, marjoram, and rosemary.
7) On top, place the lamb and roast in the oven, uncovered, for 1 hour.
8) Take out the pan from the oven and pour in the tomatoes, the lemon juice, and enough water to cover.
9) On the stove, over low heat, place the pan, and bring the liquid to the boil.
10) Cover the pan and return it to the oven, then reduce the heat to 350°F.
11) Cook, turning from time to time, adding water if necessary, until the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, about 2 hours more.
12) May be made ahead several days to this point One hour before serving, add the remaining onions and carrots, and the potatoes, making sure they are covered with the liquid.
13) Cover the pan and continue cooking until vegetables are nearly done, about 1/2 hour.
14) Take out the lamb from the pan and add the rest of the herbs.
15) Boil down the juices and the vegetables, about 15 minutes, until the sauce is thick enough to serve, like a nice soup.
16) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
17) Meanwhile, slice the lamb.
18) Serve with the vegetables and sauce around the meat in a big bowl.
19) This dish can be frozen and reheats fine with the lamb sliced.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8156 Calories from Fat 3484
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 388 g596.4%
Saturated Fat 162.5 g812.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1600 mg533.3%
Sodium 5884.7 mg245.2%
Total Carbohydrates 686 g228.8%
Dietary Fiber 110.1 g440.3%
Sugars 132.4 g
Protein 486 g971.2%
Vitamin A 1936.4% Vitamin C 1588.3%
Calcium 144.2% Iron 198.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet