Kidney Bean and Lamb Soup
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lamb shank||1 Large|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1. Take 3 cups of water, and soak beans overnight or quickly soak.
2. Drain the bean liquid but reserve some. Dilute it with enough water to make 6 cups.
3. Take a Dutch oven, soften butter and brown the lamb shanks in it.
4. Stir in celery, onion, garlic and carrot and saute until the vegetables are soft.
5. Stir in remaining ingredients except lemon juice and boil the mixture.
6. Reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for another 1 ½ hours until the meat turns soft.
7. Take out the shank from soup, cool it slightly and separate the meat from bones.
8. Chop the meat into small pieces and add it back to the soup.
9. Take out bay leaf.
10. Add lemon juice, and adjust seasonings as per the taste preferences.
11. Serve the kidney bean and lamb soup hot with freshly baked bread.