Curried Lamb with Savory Rice
|Lamb||1 1⁄4 Pound (preferably leg piece)|
|Onion||1 , sliced or chopped|
|Apple/1/2 no, large||1 , sliced or chopped|
|Dripping/Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Hot stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Long grained rice||6 Ounce, rinsed, drained|
|Peppers||2 Tablespoon, chopped (Green and Red)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325F.
2) Slice the lamb up into little pieces of equal size.
3) Season the flour with curry powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the meat to coat well on all sides.
4) Drizzle the chopped apples with lemon juice so they do not discolour.
5) In a saucepan, heat the fat. Toss in the chopped onions along with the lamb pieces. Sear the meat till lightly brown on all sides.
6) Add in the chutney, sugar and a little lemon juice.
7) Slowly, pour the stock. Stir continously to mix all the ingredients.
8) Put a lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down. Cook on simmer for about 10 minutes.
9) Add in the chopped apples, sultanas. Squeeze out any remaining juice from the lemon.
10) Transfer the contents to a casserole. Place the casserole in the oven and bake for about 1 1 1/2 hours.
11) Meanwhile, prepare the savory rice.
12) Cook the rice in salted, boiling water into which a whole onion had been added.
13) Drain the rice. Rinse once and transfer into a dish. Reheat the rice in the oven before serving.
14) To serve the Curried Lamb with Sauce, add in butter and raw red and green peppers into the lamb curry.
15) Pour the curry into the centre of the serving plate. Arrange the rice along the edge of the plate.
Calories 469 Calories from Fat 211
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.2%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g55.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.2 mg25.1%
Sodium 262.6 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.6%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 23 g45.2%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 33.1%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet