The Brothers Lamb Shanks
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lamb shanks||4 Pound (4 Shanks, 3/4 - 1 Pound Each)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Golden sherry||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggplant||1 Pound, cut in chunks (1 Large Sized)|
|Green peppers||2 Large, cored, seeded, and cut in chunks|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled and cut into wedges|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
1. Arrange the shanks in a baking pan.
2. Combine the salt pepper and rosemary and season the lamb shanks with the seasoning, turning them to season both sides.
3. Place the baking or roasting pan until a broiler and sear the meat for 5 minutes each side.
4. Remove the browned lamb from the oven.
5. Blend the tomato paste and sherry and pour the sauce over the lamb. Turn to coat both sides.
6. Cover the pan and set aside for 2 hours allowing the meat to marinate in the tomato sherry sauce. Turn the shanks occasionally to keep them coated with the sauce.
7. Preheat the oven to 300 degree F
8. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, peppers, onions and tomatoes.
9. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning, parsley and garlic.
10. When the meat has marinated for two hours, surround with the vegetables.
11. Cover the pan with foil and transfer it to the preheated oven,.
12. Braise the meat for 30 minutes.
13. Remove foil, turn the shanks over and stir the vegetables. Add more sherry diluted with water, if the mixture is too dry.
14. Re-cover and continue to braise another 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
15. Serve the Brothers Lamb Shanks over a pilaf or with crusty bread if you like.