Gigot D Agneau En Chevreuil
Fat Bacon - 1/2 lb/250 g, a piece , cut in strips (for larding)
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Butter - 50 g
Stock - 8 fl oz/250 ml, more if needed
Salt and Pepper
Arrowroot - 1 teaspoon, (mixed to a paste with 1 tablespoon cold water)
Red Bordeaux Wine - 1 bottle/75 cl
Red Wine Vinegar - 2 1/2 fl oz/65 ml
Onions - 2, sliced
Carrots - 2, sliced
Shallots - 4, sliced
Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Salt - a pinch
Sugar - a pinch
Black Peppercorns - 2 teaspoons
Juniper Berries - 10, crushed
Firm Pears - 2 lb/1 kg
Butter - 1 oz/25 g
Sugar - 2 tablespoons
Redcurrant Jelly - 4 oz/125 g
1. The meat must be marinated 2-3 days before cooking.
2. In a ssaucepan, nix all the ingredients for marinade and boil. Then, simmer for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
3. In a deep bowl, lard meat with bacon and allow to set.
4. Pour cold marinade over meat to cover it.
5. Cover bowl the and refrigerate for 2-3 days, turning the meat from time to time.
6. Drain the meat, reserving marinade. Place the vegetables separate.
7. Pat dry meat with paper towels.
8. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
9. In a casserole, heat oil and half the amount of butter to brown lamb evenly.
10. Replace lamb with reserved vegetables. Brown them.
11. Replace lamb and stir in remaining marinade ingredients, stock, salt and pepper.
12. Cover the lid and boil.
13. In the oven, braise pink lamb for about 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours or well done meat for 1 1/2-2 hours.
14. Add more stock, if the meat becomes dry during cooking.
15. Prepare garnish. First, peel, halve and core pears.
16. In a baking dish, arrange the pears. Dot them with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
17. Further, add 3 or 4 spoonfuls of cooking liquid from lamb.
18. Bake pears in oven with lamb for 20-30 minutes or until tender, basting occasionally.
19. Once baked, transfer Iamb to a board and leave undisturbed for 10-15 minutes to allow the juices to get reabsorbed.
20. Strain cooking liquid and skim off excess fat.
21. Boil until reduced to about 8 fl oz/250 ml.
22. Add some arrowroot paste into boiling liquid to thicken it add seasoning to taste.
23. Keep warm.
24. Carve lamb and reshape pieces on the bone, or carve meat at the table.
25. In a serving dish, arrange the pieces of lamb.
26. Fill pears with a spoonful of redcurrant jelly and arrange them around the lamb.
27. Serve the sauce separately.