Potatoes -2 lb [1 kg], peeled
Neck of lamb -1 lb [500 g]
Carrots -3, sliced
Swede -4 tablespoons [4X20 ml spoons], diced
Onions -2, large and thinly sliced
Red cabbage -1/2 lb [250 g], shredded
Butter -1 oz [25 g]
Flour -1 tablespoon [1X 20 ml spoon]
A pinch of dried thyme
Water or stock
Salt and pepper
1) In a pan, heat the butter.
2) Combine the flour, thyme, salt and pepper.
3) Toss the lamb in the flour.
4) Add into the pan and quickly brown on both sides.
5) Mix in the cabbage, carrots, swede and onions and press down well.
6) Thinly slice 1 lb (500 g) of potatoes.
7) Arrange on the top and season with salt and pepper.
8) Add enough water to barely cover, then add the remaining potatoes.
9) Place a closely fitting lid and gently simmer without stirring for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.