Mediterranean Lamb Shank
|Lamb shanks||3 1⁄2 Pound (4 pieces, 1.5 kilogram)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried rosemary/3 fresh rosemary sprigs||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Tomato puree||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
|Chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||8 Cup (128 tbs) (4 glasses)|
|Lamb stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oregano||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
|Flat leaf parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
1) Clean the lamb shanks after washing them.
2) Combine flour with rosemary, thyme and black pepper.
3) Dry lamb and dredge with seasoned flour.
4) Finely chop celery, carrot, onion and tomatoes.
5) Cook the lamb on high heat in hot olive oil.
6) Take out when edges begin to brown.
7) Into the pan, add garlic, celery, carrot and onion so as to make them tender.
8) Now add lamb as a layer on top of the bed of vegetables and cover with fresh and canned tomatoes.
9) Add chickpeas, white wine and lamb stock and reduce to a simmer and cook after allowing entire mixture to a boil.
10) Add bay leaves and oregano.
11) Slowly agitate pan to avoid burning.
12) Let the liquid to reduce to half by cooking on simmering heat for about 1 1/4 hours, or until the lamb is cooked through and about to leave off the bone.
13) Add required sea salt and black pepper as seasoning, and sprinkle with parsley before serving.