|Stewing lamb||1 1⁄2 Pound (bony cut such as neck)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Medium, skinned and chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, chopped|
|Turnip||1 Small, chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Pearl barley||1 Tablespoon, soaked for 12 hours 1 tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Cut the lamb meat from the bones, discard the fat and cut the lean meat into small cubes.
2. Put the meat and bones in a deep kettle.
3. Cover with the water and salt to taste.
4. Heat slowly to the boiling point, and skim off the scum.
5. Reduce the heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
6. Cool until the fat starts to harden.
7. Remove the fat, then add the prepared vegetables and barley.
8. Reheat to the boiling point.
9. Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 1 hour or until the barley is soft.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Stir in the parsley just before serving.