Roast Leg of Lamb Olympia
|Leg lamb||7 1⁄2 Pound|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Canned chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
To prepare the lamb :
1. The day before serving wipe it with damp paper towels.
2. In shallow roasting pan place lamb, fat side down.
3. Pour 1/4 cup lemon juice over meat sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
4. Turn meat fat side up.
5. Peel garlic and cut crosswise into thin slices.
6. Using paring knife, cut 20 to 24 small slits, about 3/8 inch deep, in flesh of lamb and insert garlic slices.
7. Pour remaining lemon juice over meat sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
8. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
9. The next day remove lamb from refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.
10. Preheat oven to 325F.
11. Uncover lamb and insert meat thermometer in fleshy part, away from bone or fat.
12. Roast for 2 hours brush with melted butter and roast 1/2 hour longer to 175F on meat thermometer, for medium.
13. Let roast stand 20 minutes, for easier carving.
To make Egg-and-Lemon Sauce:
14. In top of double boiler melt butter over direct heat.
15. Remove from heat stir in flour and salt until smooth.
16. Gradually stir in chicken broth and lemon juice.
17. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and place over hot, not boiling water.
18. In small bowl, beat egg yolks slightly.
19. Slowly beat in small amount of hot mixture.
20. Slowly add to rest of mixture in double boiler, stirring constantly.
21. Cook over hot water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
22. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped parsley.
23. Serve the lamb passing the sauce with it.
Calories 1330 Calories from Fat 823
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g140.8%
Saturated Fat 41.4 g207.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 534.2 mg178.1%
Sodium 659.9 mg27.5%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g3.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.2%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 110 g219.4%
Vitamin A 17.2% Vitamin C 29.8%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 64.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet