Roast Leg Of Lamb En Croute With Mushroom Stuffing
|Leg lamb||6 Pound (Bone In)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (Slivered)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, washed finely chopped|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Madeira||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Currant jelly||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Wipe lamb with damp paper towels and trim off most of fat.
3. Using paring knife, make 6 small slits in flesh and insert garlic slivers in each.
4. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. Place on rack in shallow roasting pan.
6. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat.
7. Roast uncovered, until thermometer registers 150F, for rare for about 2 hours.
8. About 1/2 hour before roasting time is up, prepare piecrust mix as the label directs and set aside.
To make Mushroom Stuffing:
9. In 1/4 cup hot butter in medium skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until tender for about 5 minutes.
10. Add salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup Madeira and cook, stirring, over medium heat until juices are evaporated and mixture is thick enough to spread for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Spread over surface of lamb.
12. Increase oven temperature to 450F.
13. Remove roast to shallow baking pan without rack and remove thermometer.
14. Reserve drippings in roasting pan.
15. On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to form 16-by-14-inch oval trim edges and reserve for decoration.
16. Lay pastry over roast, pressing against meat and tucking underneath, to cover completely.
17. Beat yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush over pastry.
18. Reroll trimmings 1/4 inch thick and cut strips 1/4 inch wide for stems.
19. Cut leaf pattern with cutter and press into pastry top.
20. Brush again with egg-yolk mixture.
21. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until pastry is golden.
22. Add 1 cup water to reserved drip- pings in roasting pan and heat, stirring, to loosen browned bits.
23. Strain into 2-cup measure and skim off fat to get 1 cup drippings.
24. In small saucepan melt butter and stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly golden.
25. Gradually add strained drippings; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and boil gently for 1 minute.
26. Stir in wine and jelly and keep warm.
27. Place roast on heated platter.
28. Arrange vegetables around roast, if desired.
29. Carve lamb in thin slices right through crust.
30. Serve lamb with crust, along with sauce.