Lamb Chop and Vegetable Casserole
|Lamb loin chops||24 Ounce (4 Pieces, 6 Ounce Each, 1 Inch Thick)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Sliced onions||3 Cup (48 tbs) (About 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick (4 Large Sized)|
|Green peppers||1 1⁄2 Pound, with seeds and ribs removed, and sliced into rings (3 Large Sized)|
|Tomatoes||2 Pound, peeled and sliced about 1/2 inch thick (About 8 Medium Tomatoes)|
|Bay leaf||1⁄2 , crumbled|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350Â°F before baking.
2) Dry the lamb chops gently using paper towels and season them with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a few grindings of pepper and a little thyme.
3) Take a heavy 12-inch skillet; heat it over high heat and melt lard until a light haze forms over it.
4) Stir in chops and then brown them lightly for about 2 minutes on each side.
5) Place the chops onto a warm platter.
6) To the hot fat in the skillet, add onions and garlic and then sautÃ© them for 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat until the onions are lightly colored.
7) Using a slotted spoon, take them off from the skillet and keep them aside.
8) Into the skillet, pour the chicken stock and allow it to come to a boil, scraping in any brown bits that cling to the bottom and sides of the skillet.
9) Take the skillet off from the heat.
10) Over the bottom of a 6-quart casserole attractive enough to be used as a serving dish, layer half of the onion-garlic mixture and then top them with potatoes, the green peppers and half the tomatoes.
11) Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a few grindings of black pepper, thyme and crumbled bay leaf.
12) Top with another layer of onion-garlic mixture and the rest of the tomatoes.
13) Pour in stock from the skillet and then place the lamb chops over the vegetables.
14) Allow the casserole to come to a boil on top of the stove and then bake it, covered for 25 minutes in the middle of preheated oven.
15) Take off the cover and again bake for 15 minutes longer in the oven.
16) Serve hot.
Calories 572 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.7%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 147.2 mg49.1%
Sodium 612.9 mg25.5%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44.1%
Sugars 15.4 g
Protein 44 g88.7%
Vitamin A 50.9% Vitamin C 344%
Calcium 11.1% Iron 32.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet