Garlic Roasted Lamb
|Shank half leg of lamb||3 Pound|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), sliced in half lengthwise|
|Fresh rosemary sprigs/2 teaspoons dried||2 Large|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potatoes||4 Large, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Parsnips||6 , cut into 1-inch pieces|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. With a sharp meat knife or kitchen scissors, trim off all the fat and any cartilage from the lamb.
3. With the tip of a sharp knife, make 1 inch deep cut slashes all over the leg of lamb.
4. Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
5. Push a garlic half or a few rosemary leaves into each of the cuts. Set aside for the flavors to get inside the meat.
6. In a large roasting pan, toss the sweet potatoes, parsnips, and remaining garlic with oil.
7. Push the vegetables to the corners of the pan and arrange the lamb in the center.
8. Place in the preheated oven and roast the lamb and vegetables for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning the vegetables occasionally to cook evenly.
9. Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the center of the leg. It should read about 160°F for medium done meat .
10. Remove pan from the oven and using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a serving dish. Keep them warm.
11. Transfer the lamb to a carving platter, cover with foil, and let stand for 5 minutes.
12. Use a carving knife or a steak knife and fork, to slice the lamb along the grain and serve with the vegetables.
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 221
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g37.7%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 114 mg38%
Sodium 177.7 mg7.4%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.4%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 34 g68%
Vitamin A 213.1% Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 21.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet