Roast Lamb, Middle Eastern Style
|Lamb leg||5 Pound|
|Green onions||1⁄4 Pound, finely chopped (1 Bunch)|
|Lemon||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Fresh mint||3 1⁄2 Ounce, finely chopped (1 Small Bunch)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs), boiling|
1) Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2) Trim off all lamb fat leaving a thin layer.
3) In shallow roasting pan, place the lamb with the trimmed side up.
4) In a bowl, blend the finely chopped onions, lemon and mint leaves with 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper.
5) Press the mixture over the lamb and reserve 1/4 cup mixture.
6) Place roasting pan on a rack in the oven and pour 3 cups boiling water into the pan.
7) Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 325° F and roast for 1 hour and 45 minutes, basting occasionally with water in pan.
8) Remove the roast on a heated serving platter, then sprinkle with the reserved green onion mixture and keep warm.
9) In a 4-cup measure, strain liquid in the roasting pan and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Skim off the fat, return liquid into the roasting pan and bring to a boil.
10) In a cup, blend the flour with 1/2 cup cold water, then stir into the bubbling liquid. Stir constantly and cook until the mixture is thick and bubbles for 3 minutes.
11) Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pour in a heated gravy boat.
12) Garnish the platter with lemon wedges and green onions, if desired and serve with the gravy.
Calories 1308 Calories from Fat 786
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g134.1%
Saturated Fat 43.6 g218.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 430.9 mg143.6%
Sodium 966 mg40.2%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 107 g214.5%
Vitamin A 43.9% Vitamin C 61.6%
Calcium 13.8% Iron 64.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet