Lamb Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
|Cabbage head||1 Large|
|Ground lamb||4 Cup (64 tbs), cooked|
|Lamb||4 Cup (64 tbs), ground cooked|
|Crumbled bacon slice||8 , crisp|
|Crisp bacon slices||8 , crumbled|
|Soda cracker crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (16 Pieces)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Small, minced|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Vegetable bouillon cube||1|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Rolls)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (For Gravy)|
1. To prepare the cabbage with a sharp knife cut core out of cabbage, pull off and discard any coarse outer leaves and carefully remove 18 whole leaves, one at a time.
2. Save any remaining cabbage for another meal.
3. In a large frying pan in a small amount of boiling salted water steam leaves, covered for 8 minutes, or such that limp and drain well.
4. In a large bowl mix lamb, bacon, cracker crumbs, onion, garlic, tomato juice, eggs, salt and pepper lightly with a fork such that blended.
5. Laying cabbage leaves flat in middle of each place 2 to 3 tablespoons meat mixture fold thick end up over filling and fold both sides toward middle.
6. In a jelly-roll like fashion roll up to cover filling completely and fasten with one or two wooden picks.
7. In a large frying pan in butter or margarine brown rolls, a few at a time and pile all of them back into pan.
8. In a 1-cup measure dissolve bouillon cube in 1 cup hot water pour over rolls and steam with cover for 20 minutes such that cabbage is tender.
9. To a heated serving platter transfer and keep hot while making gravy.
10. Into a 1-cup measure pour drippings from pan and if needed add water to make 1 cup.
11. In a cup blend flour with the 1 tablespoon water such that smooth and return to pan stirring into liquid in pan.
12. Over low heat with constant stirring cook such that the gravy thickens and boils for 1 minute.
13. To serve season as per taste with salt and pepper and into a heated bowl pour to spoon over cabbage rolls.