Simple Country Style Lamb Dinner
|Lamb shanks||3 Pound (4 In Number)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared|
|Onions||8 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||6 Medium, pared and quartered lengthwise|
|Cabbage head||1 Small|
|Canned sliced beets||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Gravy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a kettle or a Dutch oven, brown lamb shanks. Move within the kettle/oven to one side, and use the empty side, to stir garlic in the juices of the lamb until soft.
2. Add water , salt, oregano and cover. Allow the entire mixture to simmer for an hour until meat it soft and tender.
3. Add the potatoes and onions around the meat in the kettle. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add carrots and cook further fo 14 minutes.
5. Cut cabbage in quarters and surround the meat in the kettle. Cook for 15 minutes longer until both meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
6. In a small saucepan, heat the beets and allow it to sweat. Drain.
7. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables placing on a heated serving platter. Arrange the beets around the meat. Add some of the potatoes and sprinkle with paprika.
8. The meat can be served by itself or with a prepared gravy
9. Serve with rice or potato mash on the side