Greek Lamb Loaf
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Shredded carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Small Size)|
|Shredded raw potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Small Size)|
|Eggplant||1 Pound, trimmed, pared and shredded to make 2 1/2 cups (1 Small Size)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), thinly sliced|
|Ground lamb||2 Pound|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled and finely diced to make1 cup|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2) In a medium-size skillet, heat butter or margarine and sauté onion in it for 3 minutes.
3) Take off the mixture from heat and then add in carrot, potato, eggplant, and garlic, stirring to coat well.
4) Cook, covered for 5 minutes until the vegetables are wilted but still crisp.
5) In a large bowl, mix together ground lamb, eggs, tomatoes, bread crumbs, salt, cinnamon, pepper, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and the cooked vegetables lightly.
6) Take a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and pack the mixture firmly into it.
7) Onto a lightly greased large shallow baking pan, unmold the mixture and bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven.
8) In a cup, combine together remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
9) Apply the glaze over loaf and bake again for 15 minutes until the loaf is browned and glazed.
10) Transfer the loaf to a heated serving platter with 2 wide spatulas and serve hot, garnishing as desired.
Calories 740 Calories from Fat 454
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g77.7%
Saturated Fat 22.4 g112.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229.9 mg76.6%
Sodium 1428.4 mg59.5%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.2 g24.9%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 37 g74.2%
Vitamin A 64.3% Vitamin C 36.3%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 25.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet