Lamb Kidneys Epicure
|Lambs kidneys||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Red currant jelly||2 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
1) With a knife, remove fat from kidney. Halve lengthwise.
2) Peel and finely chop the shallot.
3) Place kidney in a bowl and boil covered for 2 minutes.
4) Drain and dry kidneys. Strip the skin and snip cores with scissors.
5) Make into 3 or 4 slices from each half.
6) In a skillet melt butter and cook kidney over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes till brown.
7) Take out the kidneys and keep warm.
8) Cook shallots in pan juices until softened.
9) Mix flour and add the stock.
10) Stir and simmer sauce till creamy.
11) Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
12) Mix mustard, red currant jelly, cream, and port.
13) Place kidneys in the sauce and reheat over low heat. Don't let the sauce boil.
14) Put kidneys and the sauce over a bed of rice. You can also add sautéed vegetables if desired.