Polish Roast Leg Of Lamb
|Leg lamb||5 Pound, trimmed of all fat|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), cut into slivers|
|Juniper berries||20 , crushed|
|White wine vinegar/Cider||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, cut into thin slices|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F before roasting.
2) Make pockets in lamb with a sharp knife.
3) Mix the lamb vigorously with salt and pepper and insert garlic slivers and crushed juniper berries in the pockets.
4) Allow vinegar to heat to boiling point and spoon over lamb.
5) Place onion slices on lamb and leave aside for 1 or 2 days, tossing occasionally.
6) On the 3rd day, remove the onion slices but save the marinade.
7) Wrap the lamb in salt-pork slices on drying and fasten with kitchen string.
8) Roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours in preheated hot oven, basting very often with the saved marinade.
9) Serve hot.