Braised Lamb 's Tongues
|Carrots||8 Ounce, sliced|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Cooking liquor||1⁄2 Pint|
1) Wash the tongues and put them in a deep stewpan over the prepared vegetables.
2) Add the stock or water and then cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring the contents to a boil, reduce the heat and allow to cook gently over low flame for about 2 hours. Alternatively, the cooking can also be done in a pressure cooker at 15 pounds pressure for 30 minutes.
3) Keep the cooking liquor aside for future use.
4) Let the cooked tongues stand for about 5 minutes and cool down. Remove the skin and core at the base. Skin the cooled tongues, cut then in hald and put in a casserole along with carrots and some onion.
5) To make the sauce, boil 1/2 pint of the reserved cooking liquor to a boil.
6) Melt the margarine or butter and allow to cook till the mixture has turned dark nutty brown.
7) Stir in the boiling liquor very gradually, boil the sauce once again, stirring all the time till it has thickened and then add the seasoning. Cook over low flame for about 5 minutes.
8) Pour the sauce all over the tongues and thoroughly heat.
9) Serve hot with creamed potatoes and brussel sprouts.
Calories 1131 Calories from Fat 408
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.8%
Saturated Fat 18.9 g94.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 366.2 mg122.1%
Sodium 474.9 mg19.8%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g34.5%
Sugars 74.3 g
Protein 41 g81%
Vitamin A 382.5% Vitamin C 72.1%
Calcium 13.3% Iron 40.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet