Grilled Lamb Chops with Ionian Garlic Sauce
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Chopped garlic||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried greek oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried savory||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Greek Variety)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Lamb racks||4 , trimmed of excess fat|
|Ionian garlic sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Combine 1 1/4 cups of the olive oil with the lemon juice, garlic, oregano, savory, and salt and pepper to taste in a small mixing bowl.
2. Place the lamb in a glass baking dish and pour the marinade over the lamb, turning to coat all sides. Then lay each rack meat side down, cover the dish with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
3. Preheat and oil the grill. Remove the lamb from the refrigerator. Using your fingertips, remove excess marinade from the racks, allowing the mixture to drip back into the dish.
4. Season the racks with salt and pepper to taste and place them, meat side down, on the hot grill. Grill for 3 minutes and then turn and grill the remaining side for 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest for a few minutes. The lamb will still be cold and raw in the center.
5. Cut the lamb racks into individual chops. (You may save the end chops, which are sometimes not as nice as the center, for a salad or snack.) Using a pastry brush, lightly coat each chop with some of the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Return the grill to medium-high heat. When hot, add the chops, in batches of 4 to 5, and grill for about 2 minutes, or just long enough to mark the meat with the grill. Turn slightly and grill for another 2 minutes, or just long enough to burn a Crosshatch into the meat. Continue to grill for another 2 minutes for rare, or until the chops are nicely browned and cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Arrange the grilled chops on a serving platter and serve with Ionian Garlic Sauce on the side.