Rolled Lamb with Mushrooms and Wine Sauce
|Lamb leg||1 1⁄2 Kilogram, boned|
|Ground black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||700 Milliliter|
|White stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Made From Lamb Bones)|
|Button mushrooms||1 Kilogram|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), chopped|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery stalks||3 , finely chopped|
|White stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Toasted pine nuts||100 Gram, coarsely chopped|
1. Using a wooden mallet, flatten the lamb fillets into thin sheets, between wet cling film to prevent the hammer from sticking to the meat.
2. Season the meat with 2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper. Place in a baking tray and keep aside.
3. Wash dry and stem the mushrooms. Then slice the caps and finely chop the stems.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C
5. In a skillet, melt the butter with oil over a medium flame.
6. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
7. Add chopped mushroom stalks and sauté for 1 minute before adding the sliced mushrooms and frying for 2 to 3 minutes. .
8. Stir in flour, celery and seasonings and mix well.
9. Pour in 1/2 cup stock and brandy and simmer the liquid for 5 to 7 minutes until the liquid is reduced.
10. Take pan off the heat and mix in the pine nuts. Set aside to cool slightly.
11. On a clean work surface place the lamb sheets and layer the filling, within 1 inch off the edges. Folding in the sides, roll the lamb sheet tightly into a log.
12. Lightly tie lamb logs by twining cotton string around the roll..
13. In a large frying pan, heat oil with butter and sear the logs until evenly browned on all sides.
14. Transfer the rolls to a roasting pan and place in the preheated oven.
15. Roast for 15 minutes.
16. Remove the pan from the oven and pour the wine and stock over the logs.
17. Return to the oven and continue roasting for another 11/2 hours, basting the logs with the pan liquid every 15 minutes to prevent the meat from drying.
18. Insert a thin skewer into the meat and check whether the juices run clear before you remove the pan from the oven.
19. Rest the logs in the pan for 15 minutes then transfer to a meat board.
20. Untwine the string.
21. Use a steak knife to slice the meal into ¼ inch slices at a slant.
22. Arrange the slices on a hot serving platter or on individual plates.
23. Pour the juices in the pan into a saucepan and heat on a medium flame until reduced to gravy.
24. Strain the jus into a sauce boat.
25. Spoon the jus over the lamb and serve. Pass the remaining lamb at the table.
26. Accompany lamb with roasted potatoes and mint sauce if you like.
Calories 879 Calories from Fat 561
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.6%
Saturated Fat 27.4 g137.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 190 mg63.3%
Sodium 894.2 mg37.3%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.7%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 43 g85.3%
Vitamin A 12.5% Vitamin C 14.2%
Calcium 6% Iron 28.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet