Braised Shoulder Of Lamb
|Lamb shoulder||5 Pound, boned and rolled|
|Melted lamb fat||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onions||4 Medium, cut in half|
|Carrots||4 , quartered|
|Yellow turnips||1⁄2 Pound, pared and diced|
|Celery stalks||3 , cut in 3 inch lengths|
1. Wipe the lamb with a clean, damp cloth. Melt the lamb fat in a heavy kettle and sear the meat on all sides.
2. Add 2 cups boiling water, cover and simmer
3. Add onions, carrots, turnips, garlic, celery, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns and 1 more cup of boiling water. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes more, or until the vegetables are very tender.
4. Remove the meat to a warmed platter. Discard the bay leaf, arrange the other vegetables around the meat.
5. Make a gravy by adding 2 or 3 tablespoons of flour, mixed with an equal amount of cold water, to the liquid left in the pan. Boil and stir 5 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6988 Calories from Fat 4665
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 517 g795.5%
Saturated Fat 229.4 g1146.8%
Trans Fat 1.7 g
Cholesterol 1663.4 mg554.5%
Sodium 5630.5 mg234.6%
Total Carbohydrates 161 g53.5%
Dietary Fiber 30.1 g120.2%
Sugars 61.6 g
Protein 405 g809.7%
Vitamin A 827.7% Vitamin C 230.7%
Calcium 81.5% Iron 237.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet