Classic Crown Roast Of Lamb
|Rack lamb||14 Pound, pounded|
|Lamb meat trimmings||1 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, cut into cubes|
|Bread crumbs||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
1. Have the butcher prepare the crown roast for you in circular fashion; take home the trimmings he removes from the ribs. Put the trimmings through the food chopper.
2. When ready to prepare the roast, wipe it with a clean, damp cloth and fasten a cube of salt pork on each rib end to prevent it from charring. Mix the ground lamb trimmings with the bread crumbs, onions, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Rub the rest of the salt and the pepper over the rib roast. Place the roast in a baking pan.
3. Start oven, set at Moderately Slow, 300° F.
4. Fill the center of the roast with the meat-and-bread dressing. Roast at the rate of 25 to 30 minutes per pound or set the oven at Very Hot, 500° F., and light it and sear the roast first at this high temperature 20 minutes; then reduce the heat to Moderately Slow, and roast at the rate of 25 minutes per pound.
5. Remove the cooked roast to a warmed platter; take off the salt pork cubes and replace them with paper frills. Keep the stuffing in the center of the roast. Serve 1 to 2 ribs per portion.