Lamb Shanks Provencale
|Dried lima beans/Great northern white beans||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Leaf savory||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), slivered|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Combine beans with water in a kettle; heat to boiling; boil 2 minutes; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 1 hour.
2. Heat beans to boiling again; reduce heat; cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Place beans in a large, shallow, baking dish.
3. Saute onion in oil until golden, about 8 minutes, in a large skillet. Add to beans; stir in tomatoes, salt and savory.
4. Insert garlic slivers in lamb shanks. Brown shanks on all sides, in same skillet; arrange on top of beans. Pour off all fat from skillet; add water; heat, stirring constantly to loosen browned bits; add to beans. Add enough of reserved bean liquid to come just to top of beans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 2 hours, or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally with fork. Add more liquid if needed. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5299 Calories from Fat 2799
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 311 g479%
Saturated Fat 123.7 g618.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1366.8 mg455.6%
Sodium 7639.2 mg318.3%
Total Carbohydrates 189 g63%
Dietary Fiber 43.9 g175.4%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 425 g850.4%
Vitamin A 87.8% Vitamin C 332%
Calcium 74.2% Iron 324.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet