Lamb In Pita Bread
|Lean loin lamb||1⁄2 Pound, well trimmed (Cut Into 1 Inch Cubes)|
|6 inch pita bread||8|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Canned whole tomatoes with their liquid||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cooked chickpeas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped black olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried rosemary/1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Plain low-fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped mint||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled feta cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Place the lamb in a food processor and process just until ground. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 300°.
3. Stack the pitas, wrap in foil and set aside.
4. In a medium-size nonstick skillet, brown the lamb, onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the lamb is no longer pink; spoon the lamb mixture into a strainer to drain the fat and return to the skillet. Add the tomatoes and their liquid, the chickpeas, olives, rosemary and cinnamon, stirring and mashing the chickpeas and tomatoes with a spoon, and cook until heated through.
5. Meanwhile, heat the pitas in the oven.
6. Combine the yogurt, mint and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
7. Add the cheese to the skillet and heat until the cheese melts.
8. Cut a small slice from the top of each pita. Spoon the lamb mixture into the pitas and top with the yogurt mixture.