Sunday Leg Of Lamb
|Celery stalk||1 Small, minced|
|Onion||1⁄4 Small, minced|
|Pork sausage meat||1⁄2 Pound|
|White bread slice||1|
|Slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lamb leg||4 1⁄2 Pound (1 Whole, Shank Half)|
|Salad oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed For Deep Frying)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
1. In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, in 1 tablespoon hot salad oil, cook celery, onion, and sausage until sausage is well browned and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up sausage. Remove saucepan from heat.
2. Into sausage mixture, tear bread into small pieces; stir in almonds, parsley, milk, lemon peel, egg, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spoon stuffing mixture into pocket in lamb leg. Skewer opening closed.
3. Place lamb, fat side up, on rack in open roasting pan. In cup, mix pepper, 1 tablespoon salad oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; rub mixture over lamb. Insert meat thermometer into center of lamb. Roast lamb in 325°F. oven about 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer reaches 160°F. for medium (30 to 35 minutes per pound) or until of desired doneness.
4. Meanwhile, prepare potato frills: With vegetable peeler, peel potatoes. Then, using same peeler, peel 1/2 inch-wide, paper-thin strips from potatoes, dropping strips into large bowl of water mixed with 1 teaspoon salt as you work.
5. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat 1 inch salad oil to 400°F. Remove one handful of potato strips from water and pat dry with pa per towels. Drop strips into hot salad oil and fry until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove potato strips to more paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining potato strips. Since potato strips are not served hot, it is not necessary to keep them warm after frying.
6. After roasting lamb 1 1/2 hours, in bowl, mix white wine, water, and tomato paste; pour mixture over lamb. Continue roasting lamb, basting occasionally with pan liquid.
7. Prepare Poached Apples.
8. When lamb is done, place on warm large platter; let stand 15 minutes for easier carving. Meanwhile, strain pan liquid into 1-quart saucepan; skim excess fat. Over medium heat, heat sauce to boiling. Pour sauce into gravy boat.