Leg Of Lamb With Turnips
|Leg lamb||8 Pound, trimmed|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||3 , sliced|
|Carrots||3 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Stock/Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), undrained|
|White turnips||12 , quartered and parboiled|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled and parboiled|
1. Preheat oven to hot (400° F.). Season the meat with salt.
2. In a heavy kettle or Dutch oven place the oil, onions, carrots, celery, pars ley, bay leaf and thyme. Sprinkle with flour and place the lamb on top.
3. Roast uncovered, turning frequently, until the lamb is browned on all sides. Add the water and tomatoes, cover closely and reduce the oven temperature to moderate (325° F.). Braise the lamb three to three and one-half hours, basting the meat occasionally. Fifteen minutes before the lamb is done, add the parboiled turnips and onions and cook until done.
4. Remove the lamb to a hot platter and keep warm. Strain the gravy and skim the fat from the surface. Thicken the gravy with a little flour mixed with water.
5. Slice the lamb and serve with the vegetables and gravy.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9101 Calories from Fat 4758
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 528 g813%
Saturated Fat 216.9 g1084.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2435.9 mg812%
Sodium 4774.4 mg198.9%
Total Carbohydrates 338 g112.6%
Dietary Fiber 73.6 g294.6%
Sugars 153 g
Protein 729 g1457.4%
Vitamin A 665% Vitamin C 843%
Calcium 142.1% Iron 426.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet