Leg Of Lamb With Turnips
|Leg lamb||8 Pound, trimmed|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||3 , sliced|
|Carrots||3 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Stock/Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), undrained|
|White turnips||12 , quartered and parboiled|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled and parboiled|
1. Preheat oven to hot (400° F.). Season the meat with salt.
2. In a heavy kettle or Dutch oven place the oil, onions, carrots, celery, pars ley, bay leaf and thyme. Sprinkle with flour and place the lamb on top.
3. Roast uncovered, turning frequently, until the lamb is browned on all sides. Add the water and tomatoes, cover closely and reduce the oven temperature to moderate (325° F.). Braise the lamb three to three and one-half hours, basting the meat occasionally. Fifteen minutes before the lamb is done, add the parboiled turnips and onions and cook until done.
4. Remove the lamb to a hot platter and keep warm. Strain the gravy and skim the fat from the surface. Thicken the gravy with a little flour mixed with water.
5. Slice the lamb and serve with the vegetables and gravy.