Christmas Popcorn Balls
|Salad oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Unpopped popcorn||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salted peanuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), quartered|
|Candied green cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), quartered|
|Light corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Strawberry gelatin/Lime gelatin||3 Ounce (1 Package)|
1. To pop popcorn: Heat oil in heavy, 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. To test temperature of pan, add 1 kernel of com; cover pan and shake often. When kernel pops, add 1/2 cup popcorn in a single layer; cover; shake pan often. Continue until all corn in pan is popped. Turn into large bowl.
2. Add peanuts and candied cherries to popcorn; toss to combine.
3. In a 1-quart saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, over medium heat, until sugar is dissolved. Without stirring, bring mixture to a full, rolling boil. Remove from heat.
4. Add gelatine; stir until dissolved.
5. Pour syrup mixture over popcorn mixture; toss to coat well.
6. Drop mixture onto waxed paper, to make about 1 1/2 dozen mounds. With lightly buttered hands, form popcorn mixture into balls. Place on waxed-paper-lined tray, to dry at room temperature.