Ketchup from Scratch
|Red onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Fennel bulb||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Celery stalk||1 Medium, diced|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as needed)|
|Ginger||1 Small, sliced|
|Red chili||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Basil leaves||10 Medium|
|Sea salt||5 Gram (as needed, to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cherry tomatoes||2 Pound, halved|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) In a large pot, add the olive oil, onions, celery, fennel, ginger, red chili, few basil leaves and cloves.
2) Add the black pepper and salt to taste, cook gently over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
3) Stir in the cherry tomatoes and add the water.
4) Bring to a boil and simmer until the liquid in the pot is reduced.
5) In a large bowl, transfer the cooked mixture from the pot and add rest of the basil leaves.
6) Blend thoroughly with an immersion blender until the mixture is smooth.
7) Press the mixture through a sieve and return to another smaller pot or a saucepan.
8) Add the vinegar and brown sugar into the sauce, simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced.
9) Use the ketchup as a condiment with various dishes including french fries, hamburgers, sandwiches and grilled or fried meat or as an ingredient for other sauces and dressings.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1570 Calories from Fat 969
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 110 g168.8%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2072.8 mg86.4%
Total Carbohydrates 141 g46.9%
Dietary Fiber 17.2 g68.8%
Sugars 102.9 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 126% Vitamin C 316.6%
Calcium 31.1% Iron 21.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet