Western Gourmet Ketchup
|Ripe tomatoes||18 Pound (about 72, 2 1/2")|
|Salt||3 Tablespoon (canning or pickling)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Dry mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole peppercorns||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole allspice||1 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Basil leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot peppers||4 , sliced and seeded|
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs) (5% acid strength)|
1. In a large pot of boiling water, dip tomatoes for 30 seconds until the skin is loose.
2. Transfer tomatoes to cold water for cooling.
3. Remove skin from tomatoes and core.
4. In a 12 quart kettle, cook tomatoes for about 20 minutes until soft.
5. Through a sieve, pass the cooked tomatoes.
6. Return tomatoes to the kettle and stir in salt, sugar, paprika, red pepper (cayenne) and mustard.
7. Meanwhile, in a cheesecloth bag, put together peppercorns, allspice, mustard seeds, bay and basil leaves and hot peppers and tie; add to the tomatoes in the kettle.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer on low heat for about 3 hours until sauce is thick.
9. Stir in vinegar and simmer for another 10 minutes until mixture rounds up on a spoon and sauce is separated from liquids.
10. Remove and discard spice bag.
11. Into 4 hot pint jars, spoon mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
12. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
13. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 15 minutes; start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
14. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
15. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
16. Serve Western Gourmet Ketchup in small bowls with appetizers.
Calories 10 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g0.15%
Saturated Fat 0.01 g0.06%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 67.3 mg2.8%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.42 g1.7%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 0.3 g0.61%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 6.6%
Calcium 0.4% Iron 0.67%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet