|Ripe tomatoes||6 Pound (3 Kilogram)|
|Granulated sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Malt vinegar||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Wash and quarter tomatoes and place in a preserving pan or large saucepan.
2. Cook slowly until soft, then boil rapidly to reduce them to a pulp.
3. Press the pulp through a sieve, return to the pan and stir in the sugar, vinegar, pepper, salt and spices.
4. Heat slowly over low heat to allow the sugar to dissolve completely; then bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 5 minutes until it is quite a thick sauce.
5. Pour into sterilised dry bottles leaving 4 cm/1 1/2 inches unfilled at the top.
6. Scald the tops and screw on tightly.
7. To process, place on a trivet in a large saucepan and fill the pan with water to within 2.5 cm/1 inch of the tops of the bottles.
8. Heat the water to 80°C, 170°F, and simmer very gently for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the bottles and leave to cool before storing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1489 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.3%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5955.6 mg248.2%
Total Carbohydrates 370 g123.2%
Dietary Fiber 34.6 g138.4%
Sugars 330.3 g
Protein 24 g48.9%
Vitamin A 459.6% Vitamin C 579.7%
Calcium 30.7% Iron 45.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet