Blueberry juice is extracted from the wild berries that are abundant in North America. The juice is available commercially in cans or in a concentrate form although it can be prepared quite easily at home. The berries are bluish-purple in color which turn a deep shade of indigo on maturity. The commercial juices often come with added colors as the juice extracted from the berries loses the vibrant hue after processing.
The berries are usually boiled and mashed before being passed through a strainer for extracting the juice. Sweeteners in the form of sugar or honey are usually added to it with other fruit juices being mixed with the juice of the blueberry for imparting it with a natural sweetness and additional nutritive value.
History of Blueberry Juice
Blueberry is one of the very few plants that grows indigenously in North America. The Native Americans collected the wild berries and ate them often preserving them for future use. The juice of the blueberry was extracted as well and used as a cough medicine. Teas brewed with blueberries along with its juice was used for improving blood circulation.
Apart from being used as food and medicine the juice served as an important dye for the Indians who colored their clothes and baskets by steeping them in the juice.
Preparation Methods to Maximize Blueberry Juice Benefits
- Blueberry-Cherry Drink- A combination of blueberry juice, pitted cherries and apple juice enhances the number of antioxidants in the body which are very effective in fighting cancer.
- Mixed Berry Drink- A combination drink made by blending the juices from raspberries, strawberries and blueberries together is rich in antioxidants with the anthocyanin, present in blueberries aiding in the strengthening of arteries.
- Blueberry-Carrot Juice- A blend of fresh blueberry juice along with raw carrot extract is full of Vitamin C and antioxidants which makes it an immunity booster.
Blueberry Juice Benefits
- Anthocyanin, an antioxidant that imparts the unique blue color to the berries is anti-carcinogenic in nature. The juice which is naturally darker in color contains more of the cancer fighting agents making it more beneficial.
- The juice extracted from the blueberry also contains enormous amounts of vitamin C which help in absorption of iron along with giving the immune system a positive boost.
- The blueberry juice is extremely beneficial in reducing the ability of the E-Coli to cling to the lining of the bladder and urethra, the tubes carrying urine.
- Regular intake of the juice extracted from blueberries help in aiding the digestion by decreasing the inflammation of the digestive tract. The presence of tannins can effectively control both diarrhea as well as constipation.
- Scientific studies have uncovered evidences about the juice from the blueberry being able to prevent memory loss in elderly people.
- The juice can also help to slow down the process of macula degeneration of the retinal cells.
- The juice is known to ease labor pains and restore the general health after miscarriage.
Blueberry juice does not have any side effects and can be safely consumed by the children and elderly alike.