Paleo Hamantaschen Cookies for Purim (Grain-Free and Gluten-Free)
|Dried prunes||11 Ounce, pitted, chopped|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Almond flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), blanched|
|Arrowroot powder||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), divided (1/2 cup for dusting)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Maple syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Grade B)|
|Organic coconut oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melt|
1. In a sauce pan add the prunes, raisins, water, lemon juice, and maple syrup and on medium heat bring it to a boil while stirring.
2. Continue to stir, and keep mashing the ingredients with the back of a wooden spoon until you get a pulp like consistency.
3. Once the liquid has reduced, remove from heat and set aside for filling the cookies.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. In a large bowl combine, almond flour, arrowroot, and salt.
6. Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil. Stir until all ingredients are combined or you form smooth cookie dough.
7. Place dough on to a sheet of parchment paper, sprinkle some arrowroot flour and knead the dough until it is firm enough to be rolled and cut into shapes.
8. Place another sheet of parchment paper over the dough, and roll into a 1/4 inch thick layer.
9. One the dough is rolled dip the cookie cutter in arrowroot flour, carefully cut the desired shapes in the dough, and remove the excess dough from around the shapes.
10. On each of the shapes place a spoonful of the filling in the center and carefully fold three sides inwards making a triangular shape.
11. Pinch the corners in to seal the cookies, transfer the cookies on another tray which is lined with parchment paper.
12. Bake cookies for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
13. Once done remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
14. Serve the hamantaschen cookies with a cup of hot tea.
Calories 218 Calories from Fat 60
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.3%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 169.1 mg7%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.6%
Sugars 26.8 g
Protein 3 g5.3%
Vitamin A 4.1% Vitamin C 6.5%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 5.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet