Challah Egg Bread
|Cake yeast/1 package yeast||1|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Poppy seeds||4 Tablespoon|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Add yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Mix well.
2. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven at 375° F.
4. In a bowl, sift flour. Add salt.
5. Make a hole in the center. Break eggs into it.
6. Add oil, remaining water and the yeast mixture.
7. Mix well and prepare dough, which is smooth and elastic.
8. In a bowl, take dough. Apply a little oil on top.
9. Cover with a towel. Keep it aside in a warm place and let it rise for 1 hour.
10. Punch down, cover again and let it rise till it becomes double in volume.
11. Make 3 equal portions from the dough.
12. Dust your hands lightly with flour. Roll the dough into three strips of equal length.
13. Braid it together and place it in a baking pan or a loaf pan.
14. Cover with a towel and keep it aside till the time it rises double the volume.
15. Apply egg yolk over it and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
16. Bake it in a 375° F oven for 50 minutes or until it browns. This makes 1 very large challah. You can also make two large loaves by dividing the mixture into six parts or make one loaf and many small rolls.
17. Serve Challah Egg Bread hallah with butter, jam or by itself.