Jewish Honey Roasted Pomegranate Chicken
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced|
|Baby carrots/Regular carrots - 2 cups||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled and sliced|
|Chickens||7 Pound, cut into serving pieces|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dried apricots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (loosely packed)|
|Paprika||2 Teaspoon (more or less)|
|Pomegranate juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (juice of 1 pomegranate)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (about 2 teaspoons)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced and rinded|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Pomegranate seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for garnish)|
1. Rinse the chicken well and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Trim the excess fat.
3. Rub thyme, salt and pepper under the skin and on top.
4. Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
5. Make a bed of onions and carrots in the pan.
6. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and tuck the apricots between the chicken pieces.
7. Whisk the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl.
8. Pour over the chicken and sprinkle with paprika.
9. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight or for as long as 2 days.
10. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
11. Cover the pan with marinated chicken with foil and place in the preheated oven.
12. Cook the chicken, covered, for 11/2 hours or until tender.
13. Uncover and roast for 30 minutes longer, basting occasionally with the pan juice, until the skin is golden.
14. Remove from the pan from the oven and let cool before refrigerating overnight.
15. If refrigerated, remove and discard any congealed fat from the chicken before serving and reheat, in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 350°F.
16. Transfer the heated chicken, carrots, onion, and apricot to a large serving platter and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
17. Serve with couscous on the side.
Calories 805 Calories from Fat 461
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.8%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g70.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 238.1 mg79.4%
Sodium 289.2 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 61 g121.2%
Vitamin A 106.5% Vitamin C 25.4%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet