Seed Crusted Challah
|All-purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (Fast Acting Type, 1 Packet)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|For seed mixture|
|Poppy seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed/Cumin / dill seed||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven hot to 375°F.
2) Grease cookie sheet with shortening.
3) In large bowl add heat 1 cup water and the butter. Heat until very warm (120°F to 130°F). 4) Mix warm liquid and egg to flour mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until moistened.
5) Beat for further 3 minutes on medium speed.
6) Using hand mix whole wheat flour and additional 1/4 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.
7) Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
8) Lightly dust a flat surface with flour. Knead the dough about 25 times.
9) Divide into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 12-inch rope.
10) Arrange the ropes on cookie sheet.
11) Braid ropes loosely with care, starting in middle. Do not let it stretch.
12) Punch the ends and tuck under braid securely.
13) Cover and let rise in warm place (80ÂºF to 85ÂºF) until doubled in size for 30 to 40 minutes.
14) In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water.
15) In another small bowl, add all seed mixture ingredients. Mix well.
16) Spread egg yolk mixture over braid and sprinkle with seed mixture.
17) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
18) Remove from cookie sheet immediately.
19) Cool on cooling rack.
20) Serve cold.