Challah Bread by Irving's Premium Foods
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Yeast||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine 1.5 tablespoons of yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 3/4 cup of lukewarm water in a 2 cup measuring cup. Let sit for approximately 10 minutes until doubled in size.
2. Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
3. Take one of the eggs and set aside the yolk. This will be used later on for the glaze. Add the white from this egg along with the other two eggs to the dry ingredients.
4. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of lukewarm water and 1/2 cup olive oil to the dry ingredients.
5. Add the yeast, sugar and water from step one and mix until of the right consistency.
6. Place the dough in a covered greased bowl and let sit until the dough doubles in size.
7. Punch the dough down and let sit until it doubles again in size.
8. There will now be enough dough to make 2-1 lb challahs.
9. Braid each challah and let sit (covered in a damp towel) in a warm spot for an hour.
10. Warm the oven to 350 degrees.
11. Spread some yellow cornmeal on a baking pan and place the braided dough on the pan.
12. Combine the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water and spread over the dough right before placing it in the oven.
13. Bake for approximately 1/2 hour. This will depend on your oven.