Chicken Soup With Rosemary Matzo Balls
|Chicken wings||5 Pound|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||4 Large, finely chopped|
|Chicken giblets||7 Pound (Back, Neck, Feet)|
|Carrots||6 , 4 finely diced, 2 sliced 1/2 inch thick|
|Celery ribs||2 , finely diced|
|Garlic heads||2 , halved crosswise|
|Thyme sprigs||5 Large|
|Black peppercorns||2 Teaspoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For matzo balls|
|Chicken fat/Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Club soda||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Scallions (green and white)||2 , sliced paper thin (Tender Green Parts Only)|
|Chopped rosemary leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Very Finely Chopped)|
|Matzo meal||9 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup Plus 4 Teaspoon)|
|Leeks||2 , thinly sliced (White And Tender Green Parts Only)|
|Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves||2 , cut into 3/4-inch dice|
|Boneless skinless chicken thighs||2 , cut into 3/4-inch dice|
1. make the stock: Preheat the oven to 425° Spread the chicken wings in a large roasting pan and roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions, cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes longer. Add the chicken backs, necks and feet, the diced carrots, celery, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, rosemary, peppercorns and 8 quarts of water and bring to a light boil, skimming any scum that rises to the surface.
3. Add the roasted chicken wings to the stockpot. Place the roasting pan over 2 burners, add the vinegar and 2 cups of water and simmer over high heat, scraping up any browned bits. Add the liquid to the pot and simmer gently over moderate heat for 2 1/2 hours. Carefully strain the stock into another large pot and discard the solids, includingthe wings. You should have about 8 quarts of liquid. Let the stock cool, then spoon off as much of the chicken fat as possible and reserve it for making the matzo balls. Season the chicken stock lightly with salt.
4. make the matzo balls: In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the reserved chicken fat, club soda, sliced scallions, chopped rosemary leaves and salt. Whisk in the matzo meal. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour, until the mixture is slightly firm.
5. makethesoup: Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sliced carrot and leeks and cook over high heat until tender, about 7 minutes: drain. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of the stock to a simmer. Add the diced chicken breast and thighs and cook over moderately low heat until just white throughout, about 6 minutes.Transfer the chicken to a plate: reserve the broth for another use .
6. Bring a large saucepan of the chicken stock to a simmer. Scoop rounded tablespoons of the matzo mixture into balls (about 2 dozen balls) and add them to the simmering stock. Cover and cook over very low heat until the matzo balls are tender, fluffed and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the matzo balls to a clean pot. Add the chicken, carrots and leeks and 8 cups of the stock and bring to a simmer. Ladle the soup and matzo balls into bowls and serve.
Calories 282 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.4%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g13.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 278.1 mg92.7%
Sodium 187.1 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g3.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 35 g69.5%
Vitamin A 208.8% Vitamin C 31%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 33.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet