Apple Pecan Noodle Kugel
|Wide egg noodles||1⁄2 Pound (Dried)|
|Granny smith apples||1 Pound, rinsed (2 Pieces)|
|Cream cheese||1 (1 Package)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Nonfat cottage cheese||1⁄2 Pound (1 Carton, 2 Cups)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄8 Pound (1/4 Cup)|
|Pecan halves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add noodles, stir, and cook until tender to bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and immerse in cold water until cool, about 2 minutes. Drain again.
2. Meanwhile, core and shred apples.
3. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat cream cheese with sugar. Add cottage cheese, eggs, milk, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Beat to blend. Add noodles, shredded apples, raisins, and 3 tablespoons butter; stir to mix.
4. Rub sides and bottom of a 9-inch square pan with remaining butter. Add noodle mixture and spread level.
5. Mix remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with pecans and brown sugar. Sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.
6. Bake in a 350° oven until top is golden brown, about 45 minutes (about 35 minutes in a convection oven). Cool at least 10 minutes.