Gefullte White Fish
|Whitefish||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Yellow pike||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cracker meal||1 Tablespoon|
1. Clean, fillet and season the fish with half the salt. Reserve the heads, skins and large bones. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Slice two of the onions and the carrots fine and arrange in a four-quart pot. Add one quart of cold water. Add the fish bones, heads and skins, cover and boil ten minutes.
3. Grind the fish fillets and remaining onion with the almonds. Place in a wooden bowl and add one-third cup water, the remaining salt, egg, pepper and cracker meal. Mix thoroughly.
4. Mold fish patties out of the mixture, using one-half cup for each patty. Gently lower them into the boiling stock. Replace the cover, return to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer two and one-half hours.
5. After one hour, correct the seasonings. When cooked, let the patties cool in the stock. Remove them to a platter with the carrot slices and garnish with watercress. Strain the liquid in the pot and serve either warm or cool as a sauce.